Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Make Up For Ever Foundations

    Anyone that follows any of the beauty blogs or guru's on YouTube will probably have seen something on the Make Up For Ever foundations.  They make 3 different liquid foundation formulas.  The much talked about HD Invisible Coverage, Mat Velvet +, and Face and Body Liquid.  After much consideration, I decided to try the HD Invisible Coverage foundation and the Mat Velvet + foundation.

     I've watched lots of videos where these foundations have been used, so had a fair idea of what to expect from each formula.  I also did plenty of reading on them.  As I have fairly oily skin, I wanted to see if they would be suitable for my skin type at all.  After plenty of research, I decided that I could have a go at purchasing them both.  My main concern was that the HD foundation might not be at all compatible with oily skin.

    I purchased the HD Invisible Coverage foundation at my local Sephora store.  I happened to stop in looking for a powder brush and discovered that they had finally started stocking Make Up For Ever products in this store.  I checked through the colors and settled on #120, Soft Sand.  It is a perfect match for my winter skin tone.  I am guessing that I would have to go to #127, Dark Sand, during the summer when I get some color on my face from spending lots of time on our boat.

     After using the HD foundation for a few days, I am pleased with the product so far.  It gives a good, buildable coverage without looking heavy or cakey.  I apply all of my foundations using a Sigma F-80, Flat Top Synthetic Kabuki brush.  This brush allows me to buff the foundation into my skin, so it's not just laying on top of the skin in an obvious layer.  Since I have fairly oily skin, I do have to prep with an oil-control primer, such as Smashbox's Anti-Shine.  With the Anti-Shine underneath and a light dusting of powder over the top, the HD foundation lasts all day without getting greasy and oily looking.  I really enjoy the texture and appearance of my skin with this foundation.  I haven't yet worn it for photos, so don't have any idea yet how it will show on camera.  As there is no sunscreen in it, there should be no flashback.  I know that the HD Invisible Powder DOES show in photos when a flash is used.  But that is due to the silica that is used.


    All in all, I am pleased with the HD Invisible Coverage foundation.  At $40 it falls in the middle of the price spectrum.  I will need to continue using it in order to judge whether it is something I would really want to spend the money on.  Again, I need to see how it photographs.  If it is truly invisible coverage in front of a camera, I would be inclined to keep it in my kit for shoots.

    The other foundation that I purchased, via the Sephora website, was the Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet +.  I was very confident in this purchase as it is a formula designed to combat shine.  I ordered this in #40, Natural Beige.  I was lucky enough to get a near perfect color match on the first order.  Again, this is a great match for my winter coloring, but I will have to go darker for the summer months.

     The Mat Velvet + is fantastic!  I can apply it directly over my Murad Oil Control Lotion and it will stay put all day.  This is a full coverage formula, but it doesn't feel heavy at all.  It doesn't get dry looking or cakey.  It stays smooth and flexible all day.  I can tell already that this is a foundation that I will keep at home and in my kit. Definitely love, love, love this formula.

   

    My one complaint about the Mat Velvet + isn't even about the foundation itself.  It's the bottle.  The current packaging has a pointed applicator tip, instead of a pump.  The problem with the current tip/top is that you have to shake the foundation to mix it.  When you then open the bottle, the foundation bubbles up out of the tip.  Very messy and a bit wasteful.   I would be over the moon if Make Up For Ever would package it in a pump bottle.  *hint, hint*



      Sephora carries this formula in 16 shades.  At $34 for a 1 oz bottle, it is in the middle of the price spectrum.  I will definitely purchase this product again.

No comments:

Post a Comment